2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes or 4 Roma tomatoes cored and quartered
1 onion peeled and quartered
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups long-grain
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 green pepper (or 2 jalapeno seeded)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth(or vegetable broth)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley minced
Juice of half a lime, or lemon.
- In blender/food processor blend tomatoes onion, garlic, and green pepper, until it’s the consistency of thin salsa ( Set aside)
- Heat oil in medium sized pot over medium. When oil is hot, add tomato paste and puree into the oil. Sauté for one minute.
- Rinse rice well, until water runs clear.
- Add rice to the pot, evenly coating with the puree and oil.
- Add broth, salt and pepper. (I use a 1 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of pepper).
- When the broth has almost evaporated, about 1/2 inch above the rice (and about 10min). Cover with tightly, fitting lid, and cook over low temperature for 25 minutes.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro.
And this is the perfect rice to go along with my Chicken Enchiladas.